Hyrum Straw Block
The two-story, brick, Victorian Eclectic style Hyrum Straw Block was Built in 1900, shortly after Straw had purchased the property. Straw had acquired this lot and the Moroni Miner Block, which was located next door at 260 South Main Street.
The construction of the Straw Block was financed by a $1,000 mortgage obtained by Straw in December of 1899. When originally built, the building was a small one-part, one-story block. In 1903, the property was sold to Thomas E. Child. Mr. Child, a brick mason by trade, owned the building for 20 years, during which he added a second story to the building for use as apartments. Serving many commercial enterprises for 80 years, the property was sold in 2001 to W. William Brown, Jr., and Marilyn Brown, who established the Brown Art Gallery.
Moroni Miner Block
Constructed in 1892, the two-story, two-part commercial block building was built by Moroni Miner following a mortgage of $800 he had taken out in May of that year. Miner was an early prominent citizen of Springville, who engaged in several businesses over the years, including a grocery and meat market, and worked as a farmer and stockman. In 1897 Miner sold the building to William Endar, who in turn sold it to Hyrum Straw in 1899. In 1903 Straw sold the building to Thomas E. Child, along with the building next door at 274 South Main Street. In 1923 the building was acquired by Ellen R. and Maud Peterson and owned by members of the Peterson family until 1977.
A variety of businesses occupied the building until it was purchased in 2001 by W. William Brown, Jr., and Marilyn Brown to house Bill Brown Realty.
These are two of the many historic buildings located on Main Street in historic downtown Springville, Utah.