The Henderson Block was constructed 1897-1898 for Wilbur S. Henderson to house his wholesale grocery business. The three story stone and brick office and warehouse was designed by architect Walter E. Ware. Additions were made to the building in 1931 and 1936. In 1977 the building was renovated to house Clark-Leaming, a business design and furniture company.
The Henderson Block was the first produce warehouse constructed along Salt Lake City’s rail lines. This strategic location helped Wilbur S. Henderson transform his produce business into one of the largest wholesale grocery companies in the state. The Henderson Block is unusually decorative compared to most brick warehouses in the city. The first story is built of rusticated sandstone and features four imposing Roman arches. Sandstone is also used on the beltcourses between stories and in the window sills and lintels. The tin cornice of the Henderson Block is elaborate. Look for the crown molding, brackets, dentils, and wide frieze decorated with leaves.