This building was constructed circa. 1888 by James O. Stephens and was one of several buildings constructed during this time period by members of the Stephens family on the north side of the 200 block of 25th Street. (e.g., 260, 272, and 278.) The building was build for investment purposes as retail rental space. The Stephens family owned it until 1894, when they sold it to the Eccles Lumber Comapny. The building was owned by the infamous 25th Street “madam,” Dora Belle Topham, from 1906 to 1912. Other owners included:
- Utah Mercantile
- Land and Lovestock Investment Company (1912-1915)
- James Ballard (1916-1922)
- Malan-Wheelwright Investment Company (1922-1946)
- Douglas J. and Peggy S. Holmes (1994 – )
The earliest known businesses to have occupied the building were:
- John Maddy Fruit Store
- J.W. Stephens, Photographer
Madam Topham operated “nicely Furnished Rooms” on the second story of the building during the time of her ownership. The first long-term business to occupy the building was June W. Clark, a druggist, who also sold books, stationery, and cigars between the 1910s and 1930s. Later businesses included:
- Night Hawk Cafe
- Grand Cafe
- Great Wall Cafe
- Panache Interiors and Antiques, Inc.
- Good Life Cafe
The first story of this two-story brick structure includes a new storefront which replicates elements of the original, with a recessed center doorway and display windows on either side. A recessed entrance on the right-hand side of the storefront provides access to the second level. Three arch window openings are of the double-hung, one-over-one style. A docorative brick corbeling with angled soldier course provides the cornice line for the top of the facade.