This building is significant as the only known commercial structure designed by prominent architect William H. Folsom that retains its original integrity and site. It was built in 1892 as a storehouse for the Utah slaughter Co. at an estimated cost of $9,000. The company was founded in in 1892 with John H. White as President. The company constructed a complex of buildings; a small office building, a “Hides and Wool Warehouse,” a building used as a “Smokehouse, Sausage Factory” and for “Steam Hard Rendering,”
and an engine room. This building was the only one of the Utah Slaughter house buildings remaining in 1982 to be added to the National Register of Historic Places (added as #82004148). It was built for use as a “storehouse” according to building permits.
The 1898 Salt Lake City Sanborn map labels it a “cold storage building” and indicates that the basement was used for “Salt Meat .Storage,” the first floor for “Cold Storage,” and the second floor as an “Ice House.” By 1900 the Utah Slaughter Co. was out of existence and the Armour Co., of Omaha, Nebraska, meat wholesalers occupied the building. In 1912, another meat wholesaler, The Ogden Packing and Processing Company was in the building.
In 1892 William Folsom designed this two story warehouse for the Utah Slaughtering Company. The rectangular brick structure was built at an estimated cost of $9,000. .Folsom was a prominent architect in Salt Lake City. He is noted especially for his work on Mormon Church structures, including the Salt Lake and Provo Tabernacles, and the Manti and St. George Temples. Residential and commercial architecture also received
Folsom’s attention. The Ammussen’s Jewelry Building and the ZCMI building, of which only the facades remain, were his designs. Other Folsom commercial structures included the Hooper and Elredge Block and the Wells Fargo Bank Building, both in Salt Lake City:
The existing warehouse reflects characteristics of other Folsom designs. The
main facade exhibits end pilasters of two stories and interior pilasters of one story, dividing the commercial style glazing of the ground floor. Cornices are located at the roof line and above the ground floor. The upper cornice has end terminations, and brackets with decorative motifs between. Second story window treatment is a repetition of a single motif. A segmental arch contains two double hung windows which are divided
by a frame pilaster. Surrounds and segmental insets are decorated with Victorian Eclectic motifs. An inset sign identifies the function of the structure as a wholesale warehouse. Proportions, the cornice pilaster configurations and detail, the window treatment, and ground floor glazing arrangement are Folsom characteristics which may be seen in his other structures.