This small native stone house was built in 1860 for the family of Paul Kofford, a Danish convert to the LDS Church and early pioneer. The mason was Peter Olsen Hansen, who was paid a young steer and two dollars per day to work on the house. The house originally consisted of a large front room with a fireplace and two rooms at the rear. Small houses like this were common in Spring City, but few remain today.
Located at 11 East 100 South in Spring City, Utah
Paul & Charles Kofford House
One of Spring City’s earliest stone houses it was built for Paul E. Kofford (1813-1891) (aka Koffoed) by stonemason Peter Olsen Hansen (1850-1926). Kofford, a Dane, was as a translator between Scandinavian immigrants in Spring City and the English speaking pioneers. He had learned English during his early career as a sea captain. The house plan is uncommon with a front facing parlor followed by two rooms at the rear. Paul’s son Charles acquired the house and resided there for many years. The house was renovated and restored in 2005.