A Splendid Specimen of Architecture
The first building erected on this site was considered “a splendid specimen of architecture” for its time and housed general mercantile stores. Jim Mease operated a store briefly, then Lycurgus Johnson moved his business here from its original Ashley Town location, four miles north. Named L. Johnson and Sons, the mercantile sold a little bit of everything for the pioneer farmer and rancher, from dry goods to “Queensware,” gent’ furnishings, and notions.
After Johnson relocated his business directly north across the street in the 1890s, Joseph W. and Annie Blythe Pieronnet opened the East End Saloon in the building. They cut in a corner door, perhaps hoping to lure some of the nearby Exchange Saloon’s patrons into their establishment.
In 1903 partners L. H. Woodard and Walter McCoy took over the saloon and they ran it for about three years. Then they made a major career move, selling all their saloon fixtures and opening a furniture store. In 1909 Woodard and McCoy consolidated their business with E. W. Davis and moved into Davis’ building a few doors down South Vernal Avenue.
By August 1910, Uintah State Bank had opened in the building, the first competition the Bank of Vernal had. Four years later, Uintah State moved into new quarters across the street. Soon afterward, Vernal Auto Company opened a garage in the old building. It was in continuous operation until 1925 when the foundations were poured for the Cobble Rock Station.
This is #8 of the 21 stop history walking tour in downtown Vernal, Utah. See the other stops on this page: