Military reserve was located one half mile west and one mile north of this marker and named in honor of Major J. N. Thornburgh who was killed in the Meeker Massacre in 1879. During the summer of 1881 the military troops were established in Ashley Canyon for protection against Indians. Moving to Fort Thornburgh in December, 1881. The fort was abandoned in 1884 and part of the supplies taken to Fort Bridger. In 1886 Fort Duchesne was established about ten miles south of the Whiterocks Indian School.
This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #72 located at 1063 North 2500 West in Vernal, Utah.