Beatty was the center of three short-lived, so-called “gold” railroads that were spawned by early 1900s strikes in Tonopah, Goldfield and Rhyolite. The town was referred to as the “Chicago of the West”.
Between 1906 and 1907, railroad companies constructed the Las Vegas and Tonopah from Las Vegas through Beatty and Rhyolite to Goldfield, the Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad from Goldfield to Beatty and Rhyolite, and the Tonopah and Tidewater from Ludlow, California to Tonopah. The last of these used the Bullfrog Goldfield tracks to Beatty and Rhyolite until 1914. The rails were torn up at Beatty beginning on July18, 1942.
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #173, see others on this page:
This is located in Beatty, Nevada.