This one and one-half story house follows the French Second Empire style with eclectic variants. It has a mansard roof and two gabled dormer per side. It has a wide frieze with brackets. The Roman arched window bays with transom filled in. The architecture is similar to a style of houses in Ogden and Brigham City. There is an usually wide open wall area between the first and second windows. It is significant because it is an example of the Second Empire architecture.
It is hard to tell the original exterior wall treatment and the windows have phony shutters. The house is worthy of restoration.
This 1880 house is one of the best examples of French Second Empire architecture in Salt Lake. Helaman Pratt, the original owner, was a colonizer in several areas in the West. Later the house belonged to Franklin Richard Snow, a leading Salt Lake businessman.
This was one of the first homes in the City Creek area. It was built before Canyon Road came through so it faced downtown rather than on to a road like the rest of the houses.
Helaman Pratt, the original owner of this house, was born in Mt. Pisgah in 1847 as the Mormons were crossing the plains. He helped settle the Muddy River mission in Arizona and the Sevier area. He served two missions to Mexico, one in 1875 and one in 1883. He was made president of the mission in 1884. Pratt spent the rest of his life after there as a leader of the LDS Church in the Mormon colonies in Mexico.
Pratt acquired the property in City Creek in 1880 from Joseph L. Kinsburg who ran a mill in the area. Pratt lived in the house from 1880 until he went on his mission in 1883.
In the early 1890’s Pratt agreed to sell the house to Franklin Richard Snow, a son of Erastus and Artimesia Beman Snow. Snow had also served a mission to Mexico in 1883 and he might have met Pratt there.