The Magnificent Dome Church
A maturity milestone was reached August 8, 1886, when the Riverton Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized with 138 members. Orrin P. Miller served as the first Bishop. Plans were soon underway for a new meeting house. Richard W. Kletting was selected as architect. (He was also architect of the Utah State Capitol and the old Saltair Pavillion). Willard C. Burgon was named building contractor. With visions of new hope, the people geared for Riverton’s “Grandest Effort.” Construction began in 1899.
This magnificently beautiful domed church, with the inscription “HOLINESS TO THE LORD” over the front door was erected at 12800 South Redwood Road on a two-acre site donated by Thomas P. Page. With its high dome, it was an inspiring edifice and could be seen for long distances.
On January 21, 1900, Bishop Miller was sustained stake president, Gordon S. Bills was ordained bishop of the 346 member ward. The lower part of the building was in use by 1908. There were many financial hardships during construction, however, it was finally paid for and dedicated on December 20, 1920. The cost was approximately $25,000.00 plus much donated labor and materials. Because of its high ceilings, excessive maintenance and heating problems, it was razed in 1940 after just 30 years of use. Gone, too, are the brick kiln, Tithing Yard, molasses mill, flour mill, harness shop, the Commercial Building and dance hall built by Daniel Densley, and the Salt Lake and Utah Railroad (Orem Commuter Line) 1914-1945.
Many fond memories linger in the hearts of the long-time residents, the “Pioneers” of Riverton.
This monument is gratefully erected to their memory and integrity.
Sons of Utah Pioneers historic marker #7 was located here at Riverton City Park (1452 W 12600 S in Riverton) – see the original monument here – it was later split into two separate monuments, this one and “Early Riverton,” both still located here at the park.