Tags

, , , ,

Lewisville

In 1882 Richard F. Jardine, Edmund, Brigham, and John Ellsworth with their families founded Lewisville. It was named in honor of Lewis and Clark expedition and was one of the first settlements in the Snake River Valley. They cleared sagebrush, dug canals, fought mosquitoes and built humble homes. A log room served for church, school and recreation. A branch of the L.D.S. Church was established in 1883 and a ward organized Aug. 17, 1884. Richard F. Jardine Bishop, Don C. Walker Sunday School Supt., Charles Shurtliff first school teacher and Olive Goody first Postmistress.

This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #230 located at 474 North 3450 East in Lewisville, Idaho.

These photos were provided by Marshall Hurst.