In the summer of 1880 George Starrh, a placer miner, established a ferry 4 miles west of the present city of Burley. Rich mineral mines had been discovered in the Wood River country and freight was hauled between the mines and Kelton, Utah, (the nearest railroad). The wagons were taken across the Snake River on this ferry which was operated by cable and horse power. Later Thomas Starrh bought the ferry from his brother and operated it until 1905 when the railroad came to Buhl, Idaho.
Starrh’s Ferry across the Snake River was located one mile north of this monument which was relocated on June 1, 1995, by the Cassia County Company, Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #75 erected November 22, 1941 and located on Highway 30 in Burley, Idaho.
These photos provided by Marshall Hurst: