Utah & Northern Railroad
This monument marks the route of the first Idaho railroad. The Utah & Northern narrow gauge was started as a Mormon co-op at Ogden, Utah in 1871. It reached Franklin, Idaho in 1874. Union Pacific interests extended the line to Garrison, Montana between 1878 and 1884, a total distance of 466 miles. The route through Pocatello was changed in 1883 and the gauge was standardized on July 24, 1887. The Utah & Northern brought new life to the entire area.
This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #291 located at 880 South 5th Avenue in Pocatello, Idaho. The marker was dedicated in 1963.
These photos provided by Marshall Hurst: