Virginia & Truckee Railroad Right of Way
Soon after the Chinese laborers graded this section during the summer of 1871, track gangs commenced laying rail south, reaching Steamboat Springs by late October. To celebrate the occasion numerous residents rode an excursion train to Steamboat on November 7. Nine months later Superintendent Henry M. Yerington drove the last spike a mile west of Carson City on August 24, 1872, connecting Virginia City with Reno by rail. Although regularly scheduled passenger service didn’t begin until October 1, the first through train traversed the 52 mile route on September 1, 1872 – the last steamed by here on May 31, 1950.
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #248, located at the in Reno, Nevada. See others on this page:
Note, there are two markers numbered #248, the other is: Union Pacific Depot
This plaque had gone missing, photos of it can be seen at: https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=73947