On November 12, 1888, five years after settlement of Snake River Valley, Bannock Stake Academy opened with 60 students ranging from 6 to 24 years of age. School was held in the first ward L.D.S. chapel during the first years. In 1898 it became a high school and in 1900 all elementary work was discontinued. In 1905 the name was changed to Ricks Academy, honoring Thomas E. Ricks, the founder. In 1936 it became an accredited college. Its objective has been to train young people to adjust to their social environment and meet their community responsibility with moral leadership.
The above text is from Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker #224 erected in 1956 at 525 South Center Street Street in Rexburg, Idaho.
These photos provided by Marshall Hurst: