Rexburg’s First School and Meetinghouse
The first settlers arrived in the spring of 1883. These settlers were willing to neglect their own home building long enough to build a community meetinghouse.
A log building, thirty by sixth feet, built at a cost of $8500, was erected on this site. A high board fence surrounded the building, with roofed stalls along one side to accommodate traveler’s horses. The first meeting was held October 17, 1883.
Education was soon underway with school starting in late December 1883. Thomas E. Bassett and Sarah Ann Barnes were the first teachers in the ungraded school. They were paid in produce. Settlers had brought readers and educational material with them which they donated to the school. Children often stayed home when the weather was good to help their parents with the work.
At a stake conference held April 26, 1884, the meetinghouse was dedicated; and the Rexburg First Ward was organized with Thomas E. Ricks Jr. appointed bishop.
Classes were held in the First Ward Building during the first years of the Bannock Stake Academy which later became Ricks College.
The above text is from Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker #454 erected in 1990 at 66 S 2nd Street in Rexburg, Idaho.
These photos provided by Marshall Hurst: