Byzantine Revival Style, Downtown SLC, Greek Orthodox, Historic Buildings, Historic Churches, NRHP, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, utah
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
Utah Historic Site
Replaced the First Greek Church in Utah, consecrated in 1905. Designed in the Byzantine tradition, its construction began in July 1923 and was completed in August 1924. Surrounding the church were once many immigrant neighborhoods dependent on the railroads and mines. The church remains a symbol of early Greek life in Utah.
See also: Site of the First Greek Orthodox Church in Utah
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
1924, Pope & Burton and N. A. Dokas
The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is evidence of the size and religious devotion of Salt Lake City’s Greek immigrant community. In the early 20th century, Greeks were the largest immigrant group in Utah. Salt Lake City’s Greek community was centered in a “Greek Town” with over 60 Greek businesses located on 200 South between 400 and 600 West. Completed in 1924, the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is an excellent example of Byzantine Revival style architecture. A large gold dome crowns the building while two domed bell towers with decorative tiles frame the arcaded entryway. The tile roof, patterned brick, and elaborate capitals are also typical of the Byzantine Revival Style.
FOUNDERS OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX GREEK COMMUNITY OF UTAH
Next to family and life itself, the Greek immigrant loved the Greek Orthodox Faith. The discovery of copper in 1903 in Bingham Canyon, coal mines of Carbon-Emery counties and railroad construction, brough a major influx of Greek immigrants to Utah. Despite barriers in their new land, Greek immigrants began to make plans for the formation of a Greek Orthodox Church and Community. The immigrants displayed extraordinary zeal, dedication and leadership in organizing the first Greek Orthodox Church in Salt Lake City. On January 22, 1905 about 200 young Greek men met at the Odd Fellows Building in Salt Lake City for the purpose of organizing the GREEK COMMUNITY OF UTAH. Location of the new church was on Fourth South between the present Fourth and Fifth West Streets. In april (sic) 1905, Archimandrite Parthenios Lymberopolous, arrived in Salt Lake City as the first Greek Orthodox Priest sent from the Holy Synod of Greece. The first Liturgy was held on October 29, 1905. The 1905 Board of Trustees of the Greek Community of Utah included Nicholas P. Stathakos, president; Stravros G. Skliris, vice president; Anastasosios Pappas, secretary; George Christophylou, treasurer; and Trustees George Demetrakopoulous, Michael Litrivas, George Macherias, Konstantinos Papaioannou, Andreas Papanikolaou, George Soteropoulos, Gregory Soteropoulos and Stelios Theoharis. Having outgrown its facilities, after World War I the Greek Community made plans for the construction of the second Holy Trinity Church. This was built on its present site, Third West and Third South. Actual construction of Holy Trinity began in July 1923. The first Liturgy was held on August 15, 1924. Construction cost was approximately $150,000. The Holy Trinity Church of Salt Lake City has served as the “Mother Church” for other Greek Orthodox churches in Utah, including the Assumption Church of Price, the Transfiguration Church in Ogden, and the Prophet Elias Church in Salt Lake City. The plaque is dedicated especially to all those Greek immigrants and clergy who contributed time, effort, money and services to create Greek Orthodox Churches in Utah and whose example of service, vision, faith and leadership provides guidance and inspiration for all of us to follow. *MAY THE MEMORY OF ALL OUR FOREFATHERS BE ETERNAL* AIONIA H MNH AYTON P
CASTLE GATE, CARBON COUNTY, UTAH COAL MINE EXPLOSION MARCH 8, 1924
172 Miners were killed instantly, 49 of the miners who lost their lives were Greeks, 48 of the miners were from the Island of Crete. Andreadakis, Steve…….. list of names ….Zanis, Mike