Jensen was first settled in 1877 and named for Lars Jensen, an early prospector and ferryman. Today its main importance is as the Utah entrance to Dinosaur National Monument.
Jensen (Mau-Be) Ferry
The first boat (framed together with
wooden pegs) used for passenger and bag-
gage was built and operated by Lars Jensen
2 1/2 miles down stream from 1881 to 1909. It
was replaced by a cable ferry for wagons in
1885 and a larger boat in 1894. This was used
until carried away by ice in 1909. Its last
service October 5, 1908 was 86 trips by his son
Jens, crossing run-away Indians migrating
from Uintah Reservation to the Dakotas.
The town was named in honor of Lars Jensen.
Replica, 1/8 Size of Last Boat. Made by Jens Jensen.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup