Juhannes Huber and Maria Magdalena Munz Huber House and Creamery
Located at Huber Grove in Wasatch Mountain State Park outside of Midway, Utah.
Johannes Huber was the catalyst by which hundreds of Swiss immigrants established themselves in Midway and the west. He immigrated by ox train in 1863, overseeing sixty converts to the Mormon church, including his future wife. Brigham Young called Huber to return and serve as President of the Swiss-German Mission, 1871-1874, where he translated and published the Book of Mormon. Maria Magdalena Munz Huber was schooled in the fabrication of textiles and lace. She extended this homesite as a refuge and gathering place for community events, especially in music and the arts.
Huber built this one-story, wood-frame house in 1878. Inner adobe brick walls were covered with board-and-batton in a hall-parlor plan. Two later lean-to additions were used as dining and kitchen work areas. In the gabled attic slept nine of ten children. Travertine limestone was gathered from warm mineral springs to form the two-foot thick walls of the creamery, c. 1885.
John Huber wrote the history of Midway from 1859-1910. He died in the home in 1914, his widow, Mary Huber, in 1935, and their youngest son, Joseph, remained until the inception of Wasatch Mountain State Park.