First Public Building — Alpine DUP Marker # 276
Three rods north of this site the settlers built their first meeting and school house in 1851, a small log structure with roof of split logs and dirt, log benches and a fireplace of granite. Charles S. Peterson, Roswell Stevens and Morris Phelps, building committee. An L.D.S. Ward was organized Sept. 18, 1852, Isaac Houston, Bishop. In 1854 a fort was erected and the building moved into the N.W. corner. In 1863 a rock meeting house 21′ x 32′ was built on the Public Square which served for church and civic purposes until 1872, Thomas J. McCullough, Bishop.
Other markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup