Alpine – DUP Marker # 398
This site marks the center of Mountainville, settled 1850 by a few families led by Wm. W. Wordworth. Others came and built a fort wall which gave protection for 15 years. First log meetinghouse was built Dec. 1851. Morris Phelps ran a sawmill. Richard Carlisle opened a store in his home. In Feb. 1852, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized a branch, Charles S. Peterson, presiding elder. Mountainville became the City of Alpine in 1855, Isaac Houston first mayor.
Other markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup