Site of Two Alpine Churches – D.U.P. Marker # 429
Alpine’s first settlers arrived in September 1850. By 1869, with a population of 208, it became necessary to erect a large, rock church on this site. It had a round, stained-glass window and a two-story vestry. A silver-toned bell was placed in the belfry. It was rung to tell the time of day, and for all occasions such as funerals, meetings, and fires. This building, known as “The Old Rock Church” was destroyed by fire on Sunday morning, October 21, 1928, as the bell tolled for the last time. Construction on this site for the “U-Shaped Brick Church” began in 1929. It was built during the “Great Depression”, with many sacrifices, dedicated by President Heber J. Grant, December 27, 1936, and demolished in 1968. Community activities were centered around these two churches for 96 years.
Located in Legacy Park.
Other markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup
Pingback: Alpine, Utah | JacobBarlow.com