Alpine Pioneer Relic Hall – DUP Marker # 432
Construction started on this second public building in 1857 and this building was dedicated by President Brigham Young in 1863. The dimensions of this structure are 21′ x 32′, with the foundation walls 28″ thick and the walls above the ground 18″ thick. A sawmill was built in the Grove to produce lumber and shingles; the limestone came from Box Elder and Wordsworth Canyons; the rocks were hauled by oxen over the snow from nearby mountains. Many worked on this building for days at a time without adequate food and other necessities. In 1867, the rough, rock walls were plastered with a granite splash coating. This is the last remaining structure built within the Old Fort wall and cost $3,300.00. This building was used not only as a place of worship, but also for community, recreational and social purposes. From 1872 to 1936, it was Alpine’s City Hall. From 1863 to 1900, it served as a schoolhouse. In 1906 electric lights replaced coal oil lamps and candles. Since 1936 it has been the home of the Mountainville Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, and houses its pioneer records, artifacts and pictures.
Other markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup