First Mills in Utah County (present day Springville in Heritage Park)
Jacob Houtz, James Porter and Edward Hall built and operated a flour mill near here (1851). Norton Jacobs, the first miller, made and installed the machinery. In 1860 Jacob Houtz and William Bringhurst built a woolen mill one third mile northwest. In 1863, with the aid of William Jackson Stewart, cotton looms were installed. Cotton from Dixie was used. The mill was sold to James Whitehead in 1880, who changed it to a woolen mill and operated until destroyed by fire in 1914.