, , , , ,

Site of Former Lincoln School
(311 East 800 South)


Old Lincoln School


Site of Former Lincoln School

Until 1912, only grades one through eight were being taught in schools in Orem. If further education was desired, students had to travel to Pleasant Grove or Provo. Many children were denied schooling because family finances would not allow for the added expense.
In 1913, one hundred thirty-eight citizens, taxpayers and parents of Lincoln School District wrote a letter to the Alpine School board requesting that the future needs of the young and growing community be addressed. Three years later, the Alpine School Board authorized the teaching of ninth and tenth grade classes in the two rear rooms of the Spencer School located at 811 South State Street.
In 1921 a new school was completed across the street from the Spencer School. Ora Cunningham was named as principal of the combined high school and junior high school facility which took the name “Lincoln High School.”
Grades nine through twelve were taught there. Because some students had been attending eleventh grade at other schools the previous year, there were eight students in Lincoln’s first graduating class in 1922.
Over the years, there were several additions to the original building including an east wing, a music room, an activity and physical education room, and Industrial Arts annex and finally the lunch room and additional classrooms, which were built on the east side.
When Orem High School was completed in 1956, Lincoln High School transitioned back to a junior high. In 1962-63, when Orem Junior High School was built, half the students went there. In 1975-76 Lincoln Junior High School was vacated. The building had been condemned a fire hazard. Lincoln was closed and demolished with the exception of the Industrial Arts annex, which is still standing.