Tags

, , ,

John E. & Caroline F. Christensen House
(426 West 400 South)

Image

John E. & Caroline F. Christensen House

The Christensen’s residence fronts the intersection of 400 West and 400 South, with its front porch facing the intersection. The Christensen twenty acre farm was
behind these two buildings. This ca. 1909-1912 house has a low hipped central block with three projecting bays, two gabled and one with a half-hipped roof, and combines Victorian eclecticism with Craftsman details. From 1906, when the twenty acre farm was first purchased, until 1937 when Christensen died, the industrious Dane built and maintained what was described as one of the finest, most well cared-for, and most successful farms on the Provo Bench. This architect-designed farmhouse is an expression of the relative prosperity gained by a handful of large fruit farmers shortly before and after the turn-of-the-century on the Provo Bench. The house remained in the Christensen family until 1990, when the present owners purchased the house.

Image