In 1854, at Fort Ephraim, an Indian, Tabiona, gave President Brigham Young a black rock, saying “Heap burn.” Two Welsh coal miners, John Rees and John Price, were sent with the Indian to located the coal vein, which was found in Coal Canyon about 1 mile south and 1/4 mile west of this marker. Until 1860, Welsh pioneers were directed to settle near coal bed (Wales) to develop the mines. In 1872, twelve coke ovens were built, and in 1875, a branch railroad line was built from Nephi to ship the coal to market. It carried U.S. mail for all Sanpete County.
Other markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup