First Brick Church in Wyoming

Tags

, , , , ,

In February 1873 a Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized in Evanston by President William Budge, of Bear Lake Valley, Idaho. On May 23rd, 1873 William G. Burton was ordained Bishop. On June 24th, 1890 this ward was incorporated under the laws of the state of Wyoming and named Evanston. The board of trustees were James Brown, Thomas Parkinson, John Whittle, Frank Mills and Arthur W. Sims. In 1890, This group, with James Brown as Bishop built the first brick church in Wyoming.

First Coal Mine in Utah

Tags

, , , , ,

In 1854, at Fort Ephraim, an Indian, Tabiona, gave President Brigham Young a black rock, saying “Heap burn.” Two Welsh coal miners, John Rees and John Price, were sent with the Indian to located the coal vein, which was found in Coal Canyon about 1 mile south and 1/4 mile west of this marker. Until 1860, Welsh pioneers were directed to settle near coal bed (Wales) to develop the mines. In 1872, twelve coke ovens were built, and in 1875, a branch railroad line was built from Nephi to ship the coal to market. It carried U.S. mail for all Sanpete County.

D.U.P. Marker #133 in Wales, Utah

Related posts:

Image
Image

Wales, Utah

Tags

, , , , , ,

Originally Coalbed or Coal Bed, Utah – Brigham Young sent saints from Wales (the country) to settle the area and mine coal, the first coal mines in Utah were here in Coalbed. Coalbed was renamed Wales in 1869, ten years after they arrived.

A D.U.P. Historic Marker I found in Wales says:
In 1854, at Fort Ephraim, an Indian, Tabiona, gave President Brigham Young a black rock, saying “Heap burn.” Two Welsh coal miners, John Rees and John Price, were sent with the Indian to located the coal vein, which was found in Coal Canyon about 1 mile south and 1/4 mile west of this marker. Until 1860, Welsh pioneers were directed to settle near coal bed (Wales) to develop the mines. In 1872, twelve coke ovens were built, and in 1875, a branch railroad line was built from Nephi to ship the coal to market. It carried U.S. mail for all Sanpete County.

Related:

Wales, Utah Sign

First Coal Mine in Utah