In 1876-77 Escalante Pioneers erected a log building, 36×18 ft., located 20 feet west of this marker. The logs 18″ in diameter, came from Cyclone Lake Mountain by ox team. They were hewn by hand, fastened with oak pins, morticed ends and chinked with lime mortar. It had white sandstone foundation, one door, three windows on each side, and shingled with white pine shingles. Desks were boards hinged to the wall. Seats were split logs, flat side up, no back. Building used for school and all public gatherings until 1885. Teachers – Jane S. Coleman, Mary Ann P. Schow, John Miles. Building vacated in 1898.
Other DUP Markers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup