First Orem Chapel
Timpanogos Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized November 8, 1885, at a meeting held in the log schoolhouse presided over by Presiding Bishop William B. Preston, his counselor Robert T. Burton, and Provo Stake President Abraham O. Smoot. Timpanogos, an Indian word meaning many waters, was the name given by the Indians to the entire valley as well as the beautiful mountain standing at the northeast border of the valley.
Plans were made in 1895 to erect the meetinghouse. The land for the new building was donated by Thomas Jefferson Patten, Sr., nephew of the Apostle David W. Patten. Peter Mastin Wentz, called as the first bishop, and his sons made some of the brick for the building and the adobe lining. The various hues now apparent in the restored brick face show that they were made in small batches. The style of the church with its lovely gothic windows and tower was typical of the architecture of the day. The building measured fifty-two feet by thirty-six feet. Balls of carpet rags were donated and these were placed on hand looms to make rugs that added comfort and beauty to the new chapel. Window openings were covered with quilts. The building was dedicated in 1898 and used for dances and community activities as well as for worship.
This chapel has been remodeled, renovated and added to throughout the years to accommodate members. From the original Timpanogos Ward has come a growing number of wards and stakes.
The amusement hall that was added in 1916 was not always connected, I found this these old photos on this page:
The Timpanogos LDS Chapel is the oldest church building in Orem. It was built following the organization of the Timpanogos Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1895 on property donated by Thomas J. Patten, Sr. Before it was completely finished, it was used by the Timpanogos Drama Club for play presentations. The proceeds from the plays helped pay for completing the chapel. It was completed in 1898 and served for many years as a community center for social and civic functions as well as for church meetings. The Timpanogos chapel replaced a combination Church meetinghouse and school located just to the west of this building. The original log cabin schoolhouse continued to be used as a school building until 1900 when it was torn down and replaced by the Spencer School located further to the west of this chapel. This church has been remodeled several times but is still in use by the LDS Church for church meetings.