Timpanogos Chapel (First Orem Chapel)
(440 East 800 South)
The Timpanogos LDS Chapel is the oldest church building in Orem. It was built following the organization
of the Timpanogos Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1895 on property donated by Thomas J. Patten, Sr. Before it was completely finished, it was used by the Timpanogos Drama Club for play presentations. The proceeds from the plays helped pay for completing the chapel. It was completed
in 1898 and served for many years as a community center for social and civic functions as well as for
church meetings. The Timpanogos chapel replaced a combination Church meetinghouse and school located just to the west of this building. The original log cabin schoolhouse continued to be used as a school building until 1900 when it was torn down and replaced by the Spencer School located further to the west of this chapel.
This church has been remodeled several times but is still in use by the LDS Church for church meetings.