Mountain View, Wyoming in Uinta County.
Old Fort Bridger Pioneer Trading Post
The fort was established about 1842 by Jim Bridger discoverer of Great Salt Lake; notable pioneer, trapper, fur trader, scout and guide. Bridger was born at Richmond, Virginia, March 17, 1804 and died at Westport, Missouri, July 17, 1881. His unerring judgement regarding problems of trappers, traders, soldiers, emigrants and gold-seekers, bordered on the miraculous, and his advice was universally in demand in the early history of this state.
Bridger has been prominently recognized as America’s greatest frontiersman and the west’s most gifted scouts.
The Bluemel brothers, Henry John and William Oswald (Will) from Randolph, Utah, came to the Bench in February 1891 to establish the first homesteads after the Army opened the area yo homesteading. Because the elevation is higher than the post headquarters at Fort Bridger, the area was named “The Bench.” After staking claims, Will returned to Randolph to bring back their father, Henry Carl, to help them build the first house. It was a small, one-room structure built of logs with a dirt roof. Henry Carl and Will returned to Randolph to care for their family while Henry John spent the first winter alone in this home.
Will married his sweetheart, Emily Louise Pearce, in 1894 and brought her to his homestead. In 1895, Henry John married Melissa Jane Stewart, a daughter of James Wesley Stewart. Stewart was a scout in the Brigham Young party. Mary Elizabeth, a young sister of the Bluemel brothers, came for a visit. She met and later married James Wiley Stewart, a son of James Wesley.
As the area grew, the need for a community center became apparent. The first center, measuring 18 by 30 feet, was build on this site. The building served as the first church, school, community hall, and overall general meeting place. As the area continued to expand, the center was replaced by a larger building in a different location.
The Henry John homestead is still owned by his descendants who bought part of the William Oswald homestead to accommodate their growing family. This monument stands where the two homesteads come together.
See other D.U.P. Historic Markers here.
Erected by the members of the Woodruff Stake in honor of the Mormon Pioneers who passed this point on Wednesday July 7, 1847 and in subsequent years.
This monument is at the Lyman Rest Area just off Interstate 80.
Do yourself a favor! As you travel Wyoming slow down and enjoy a taste of wildness. Wyoming is one of the lst places in North America with great expanses of wild lands.
Much of Wyoming is similar to the way it was before the West was settled. Take a break-smell the sage, hear a meadowlark, and feel the freedom of these wildlands.
The migrations of many of our elk, mule deer and pronghorn antelope herds are extensive, as long as 200 miles, as they move through these vast habitats on seasonal treks as old as time itself.
The feelings of desolation you experience when traveling 1-80 across southern Wyoming are not shared by the mule deer or pronghorn antelope. Their survival depends upon being able to move freely between summering and wintering areas. Sagebrush and large expanses of native habitat in which to roam make Wyoming home to two-thirds of the world’s population of pronghorns, numbering over one-half million animals.
So, while traveling throughout Wyoming, remember that much of what you see is still wide open, untrammeled wildland and part of the formula critical to conserving Wyoming’s outstanding wildlife resources.
Southwest Corner of Wyoming
A.V. Richards, U.S. astronomer and surveyor, established this corner monument November 14, 1873, at intersection of the forty-first parallel of north latitude with the thirty-fourth degree of west longitude (West of Washington, D.C.). Federal, state and local organizations coordinated preservation of the monument in 1996.
An Obelisk Monument at Fort Bridger, Wyoming with a historic plaque that reads:
Fort Bridger – Established as a Trading Post in 1843, U.S. Military Post on the Overland Trail – June 10, 1858 to October 6, 1890.
This monument erected by a few interested residents of the Community in the year 1914.
The Sunset Cabins are located along Bear River Drive, formally the Lincoln Highway. This historic building once served as a tourist camp for travelers along this transcontinental highway and serves as one of the few remaining original structures along Wyoming’s portion of the Lincoln Highway. An example of spanish-mission architecture, the Sunset Cabins pose a unique opportunity for historic preservation and redevelopment. The Evanston Historic Preservation Commission is working in conjunction with the Bear River Drive Renaissance Partnership to plan the future of this historic site. In the meantime, the Evanston Historic Preservation Commission has researched the history of this site. Their research has been collected into a historical assessment of the property in order to prepare to designate the property as a Locally Designated Cultural Resource. A public hearing considering this designation was held by the Historic Preservation Commission in July. The Evanston Historic Preservation Commission voted unanimously to recommend to the Evanston City Council that the property be designated as a locally significant cultural resource. The Evanston City Council will consider the designation of this site as a locally significant cultural resource at a work session scheduled for Tuesday August 10th at 5:00pm in the Machine Shop. Pending their discussion, the designation may be considered for approval at the August 17th regular City Council meeting.
See the other Lincoln Highway Markers I’ve found on this page.