The first mining settlement in Beaver County, Shauntie had 40+ homes, a hotel, saloons, a post office and more.
The above photo is the store where Jack Dempsey trained to be a professional boxer, the ruins are still there.
Also called Dempseyville or Oak Springs Bench, Coal City is a mining ghost town in Carbon County. It was inhabited from 1885 to 1940.
Historic Bay City Tunnel
Behind this building lies the Bay City Tunnel of the Emma Mine. In 1873 the Emma received international attention when its silver-bearing vein faulted and British investors accused mine managers of fraud. British parliament discussed war, and President Grant’s administration scrambled to heal wounds. At the turn of the century the Bay City Tunnel was used to access the elusive ore vein. The Emma closed in 1918 having produced close to $4 million in silver ore. Today the tunnel leads to the source of the town of Alta’s culinary water supply.
- Alta, Utah
- Little Cottonwood Canyon
GENEVA COAL MINE
HORSE CANYON COAL MINE
In the early years of World War II, the United States Government determined that it was necessary to locate strategic defense industries in locations that would not be subject to immediate attack in the event the Japanese invaded the West Coast of the United States.
The Utah coal reserves in the Book Cliffs were the logical source of metallurgical grade coal for the steel making process and Orem, Utah, was the location selected for a large steel making facility to support the war effort.
The Geneva Steel Mill was built in Orem and the Geneva Coal Mine was developed in the Book Cliffs coal fields in 1942. The construction and operation of the steel mill and coal mine were overseen by the Defense Plant Corporation from 1942 to 1945.
At the end of the war United States Steel Corporation purchased the Geneva Steel Mill and the Geneva Coal Mine, operating these facilities until the 1980’s. In 1982, the Geneva Coal Mine was closed and subsequently sold to the Kaiser Coal Company. Kaiser Coal Company never opened or operated the Geneva Coal Mine.
During the 40 years of operation the Geneva Coal Mine produced over 30 million tons of coal, almost exclusively for use at the Geneva Steel Mill. During the war years the mine operated at peak production levels approaching one million tons per year, employing nearly 800 people.
Over the years, a number of mine employees etched their place in history by welding their names on large steel plates covering sumps and pits in the mines maintenance buildings. These steel plates have been preserved as a tribute to all employees of the U.S. Steel Corporation’s Geneva Coal Mine
In 1990 the Intermountain Power Agency (IPA) acquired the Geneva Coal Mine and South Lease coal Reserves from the Kaiser Coal Company. In 1990-91 IPA reclaimed major portions of the surface mining facilities.
This monument dedicated by IPA in 1991 as a tribute to those men named here and to the Utah Coal Industry.
12 STEEL PLAQUES CONTAIN WELDED NAMES OF MINE EMPLOYEES
Mining in the area began in 1871 and a camp was established soon after. The mines produced primarily silver, gold, copper, lead and zinc. The post office was opened December 23, 1872. It grew to be the largest town in the county and became the county seat in 1873. It had the county courthouse and jail, stores, hotels, saloons, shops, doctors, lawyers, assay offices and two stagecoach stations. The town published a newspaper, the Mohave County Miner.
In 1887 it lost the county seat to the railroad town of Kingman in an election. Some of the population and the newspaper moved and mining began to slacken with the price of silver. The post office closed in April 30, 1893. It reopened in September 1894, but closed for the last time in 1912. Mining revived in the area since the 1960s, but the town never did.
The former mining town of Chloride was started in 1864 with the discovery of few mines. In 1900, it had two thousand population. Fifty or more mines were in operation around Chloride, including Tennessee – Schuykill, large producer of gold, silver, copper, lead and zinc. Post Office in continuous operation from 1873. Now small community with blend of old and new.