FORT SAGE BOTTOM
In 1861 a fort was built on a nearby creek, moved in 1866 to Sage Bottom, sometimes called Woodenshoe, one mile south of Peoa. Houses of split logs and clay were placed close together with a church in the center. Drinking water was obtained from a well. Settlers from both Kamas and Peoa lived here during the Black Hawk War. The bell atop this monument was used for nearly 60 years, in the white schoolhouse built in 1881 and in the brick school building until 1940.