Payson, first settled in 1850, was incorporated January 21, 1852 with David Crockett as mayor. In 1870, during the administration of Mayor Orrawell Simons 1866-75, a City Hall, Payson’s first brick building, was erected 377 feet west and 14 feet south of this marker. This two-story building served for city offices, the first High School, and as a recreational center. Later a belfry was added enclosing a bell which summoned children to school. At 9 p.m. it was rung by the city marshal as a curfew for children under twelve years of age.