In commemoration of the Catholic priest,
Father Escalante, who in 1776 came into Utah.
He crossed the Green River at Jensen and
camped two days at that place. His diary
shows that he camped at the junction of the
Strawberry and Duchesne Rivers one night
and then travelled northwest, up through
what he called “The Canyon of the Swallows.”
This is the canyon in which Ivie’s Ranch is
now located. This became an important intersection in
pioneer days, as distances were reckoned
from this point.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup