In 1865 a treaty was signed requiring the Indians to move to the Uintah Reservation, which had been established by Brigham Young in 1851. Lt. Pardon Dodds, the first official Indian agent, built a log cabin and fort in 1867 on the upper Duchesne River, one mile above Tabiona, which was used by soldiers during Indian uprisings. The agency was moved to Fort Duchesne in 1868. Later the fort was burned and rocks from the chimney, which stood as a landmark for many years, were used to build this monument.
This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #151, located on Carter Lane (near the rodeo grounds) in Tabiona, Utah.
In 1905 William H. Smart, Uintah Stake President, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, supervised the colonization of reservation homesteaders. Ephraim Lambert was appointed bishop. Dry Gulch Irrigation Co., organized, R.S. Collett, President. In 1906 townsite, in center of Uintah Basin, platted by Edgar F. Harmston, Ward E. Pack, and J.C. Holmes; Roosevelt Mercantile built, Joseph Hardy, Manager. School began 1907, N.C. Cable, teacher. First flour mill built by C.C. Larsen.