In the early days this roadside cave provided travelers with natural and welcome shelter for both man and beast. In 1860 it served as a Pony Express Station; later a stopping place for the Overland Mail. Joseph Toronto was one of the pioneer owners. In 1938, it was explored by a scientific group from the University of Utah, and the artifacts discovered proved to be a rich deposit of archeological material. The American Smelting Company bought it about 1905. Later it was purchase by the Garfield Improvement Group.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup