La Verkin – “Indian for Beautiful Valley”
In 1881 Thomas Judd, promoter, with others completed an 840 foot tunnel and 1 1/4 mile canal to bring water from the Rio Virgin for the cultivation of this valley. Excavations opened a large crystal cave of stalactite and stalagmites. In 1903, the first post office with H.W. Gubler as post master. June 23, 1904, an L.D.S. Ward was organized under a bowery with Morris Wilson as bishop, in 1904 first school house was built.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup