FIRST PUBLIC BUILDINGS
In the Early 80’s Centerfield was known as “The Field” or “South Gunnison”. The thirty families living there erected a public building in 1882 made of red pine logs with a slab roof covered with clay. A stone fireplace furnished the heat while the light came from a coal oil lamp. The building was used for school, social, and religious meetings until 1888 when a rock building was erected. N.C. Tolstrup and Gustav Nielsen cut and laid the stone. A stage was built in the west side of the building and a pot bellied stove furnished the heat. Both buildings were erected on a community basis.
Centerfield Camp South Sanpete County
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup
Pingback: Centerfield, Utah | JacobBarlow.com