Erected in 1865 on order of General D.H. Wells to protect the settlers during the Black Hawk War. The fort covered the present City Hall Block and westward with 12 ft. rock walls supporting cabins along the inside. The bastion stood on the Lincoln School Lots. Its walls 3 x 16 ft. held port holes which gave a view of the entire valley. In 1866, when nearby settlers were ordered to move into the fort, Fountain Green occupied the N.E. section; Wales, the West side; and Moroni, the remainder.