In 1878 William Van Wagoner and his brother John Sr. built this lime kiln. They operated it for many years. Lime rock was quarried by blasting it into chunks. 25 tons of rock produced eight tons of lime. Three days and three nights of twelve hour shifts steadily burning at top heat were required to burn out the lime. It cooled 48 hours before being removed. Lime was used in mortar, plaster, and for white-wash. Much of the lime was sold to Ontario Mining Company of Park City at fifty cents per bushel delivered. The kiln was abandoned in 1922.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup