Tags

, , , ,

picture13oct07-046

Early in 1857 Brigham Young called Samuel Adair and Robert D. Covington as leaders of two companies of pioneers to settle here and grow cotton. In 1861 a Scandinavian company came to assist in the work. The town was named in honor of George Washington and was the county seat from 1859 to 1863. A cotton factory was built to process the cotton grown in the Virgin River Valley and the area became known as “Utah’s Dixie.”

picture13oct07-047

Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup

Advertisements