Clearfield was first known as Sand Ridge where dry farming began in 1869. First settlers, Richard and Emily Hamblin built a small dugout with dirt floor and thatched roof of sagebrush and dirt in 1877. Drinking water was hauled from Layton. After several attempts Mr. Hamblin sank a well which struck water. With the building of the Davis and Weber County Canal and the completion of East Canyon Dam, water was available and crops could be grown in the sandy soil. The town prospered. The name Sand Ridge was changed when the community became a school district.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup