Early settlers in Whitmore Canyon, later called Sunnyside, were Jefferson Tidwell, his family and a brother John, who grazed cattle in the area prior to building their home in 1897. They located a vein of coal, sold it to the Utah Fuel Company for two hundred fifty dollars which was paid in ten and twenty dollar gold pieces. The first shipment of coke ws in 1899. Columbia was settled in 1922. The Whitmore ranch area is now called Dragerton, thus making East Carbon the home of the largest coking coal deposits in the west.
This marker is located at the Junction of Highway 6 and Highway 123.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup