Soon after arrival of the ’47 Pioneers, Capt. James Brown, who was on his way to California, visited Fort Buena Ventura, located 1290 feet S.E. of this site belonging to Miles Goodyear, whom the original pioneers had met near Bear Lake. The area consisted of a stockade enclosing a few log houses and sheds, a herd of cattle, horses, goats and a garden. Upon his return Capt. Brown purchased Goodyear’s holdings with money received as wages for the Mormon Battalion. The name was changed to Brown’s Fort, Brownville, and later “Ogden”.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup