In 1852 Peter Shirts located a ranch on Sidon Creek, later known as Shirts Creek. He offered John Hamilton half the water to come and settle there. Hamilton came with his family and Peter Fife. When Walker Indian War broke out they moved to Cedar City but returned in 1855. The three families built an adobe fort enclosing one-fourth acre, 95 feet square, walls three feet thick; houses formed part of wall. Soon Jonathan Pugmire, Samuel White and others came. In 1869 a new location for Hamilton Fort was selected on the main thoroughfare.
Located on old Highway 91 at approximately 3700 West 2700 South in Cedar City, Utah