Summit stake was organized July 9, 1877, William W. Cluff, George G. Snyder, Alma E. Eldridge, Presidency, in 1879 ground was broken for a tabernacle, Thomas L. Allen, Architect and builder. Plans approved by Truman O. Angell, church Architect. Cornerstone laid by Franklin D. Richards August 7, 1879. Built of native lumber and oregon red pine, secured with 1/2 inch bolts, and 600,000 bricks made in coalville. About 1886 a gallery was added, three golthic stained glass windows, and pictures of church leaders painted on ceiling by C. M. Olsen. Original cost $55,000. Dedicated May 14, 1899, by Pres. Lorenzo Snow. General L.D.S. conference held in tabernacle October 6, 1886.
After serving the Summit Stake and greater Coalville community for over 70 years, church administrators went through with plans to demolish the tabernacle. The building was listed on the Utah State Register of Historic Sites in 1970 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 shortly before demolition as attempts to preserve the building. There were other attempts to preserve the building, including a group of residents that tried to place a restraining order on the church, which garnered much media attention, including reports from the New York Times. However, two days after a judge struck down the restraining order, and amidst much controversy, church leaders removed some historically significant items from the tabernacle before bulldozers arrived. On March 5, 1971, the building was razed.