In 1859, to replace a log church house, Bishop Archibald Gardner chose Elias Morris as architect of this red sandstone and granite church. On May 15, 1861, the cornerstone was laid. Proceeds from a military ball, attended by L.D.S. Authorities including Brigham Young, Fort Douglas officers and others, completed the $10,000 building. Dedicated Aug. 11, 1867 by Wilford Woodruff. Leased and restored by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1937.
This marker is located next to DUP #79.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup