In 1848 Samuel Egbert, Horace Ensign and Thomas Butterfield and families settled here. In 1849-1850 the settlers built the first canal from the Jordan River, In 1851 Samuel Mulliner tanned the first leather, in 1851 Matthew Gaunt build the first woolen mill in the west, In 1863 General Patrick E. Conner organized the first mining company. The Jordan Smelter was built in 1870 by J. W. Kerr and Isadore Morris. Archibald and Robert Gardner built a saw mill and later a grist mill.
This marker is located next to DUP #332.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup